Saturday, August 3, 2013

Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake

Ok, so I know that it has been awhile since I posted and that is completely my fault. Life gets busy and I didn't take the time to sit and post like I wanted to. That doesn't mean I stopped counting points or cooking. I also made sure that I was taking notes and pictures along the way so that I could sit down and let you all in on what I have been doing. So, in an effort to apologize for not posting for a few weeks I decided to lead in with a dessert to make it up to you.

I have seen a lot of dump cakes and soda cakes on Pinterest. You all know the ones. Dump a bag of this, add a box of cake mix and bake. Or add a can of diet soda to a box of cake mix and make cake. Sure, I was skeptical at first but the first one I ever tried was to add Diet Sprite to a Lemon Cake Mix and bake. I have to say that it turned out great and tasted great so I thought I might give this new one a try and put my own spin on it.

Here is the link to the original recipe

My take on it all started with this little bag here.


With it being summer time, I have been loving all things cherry. I have been snacking on them like crazy and this bag of frozen berries immediately caught my eye. At first, I was going to leave them at Trader Joe's since I had no immediate plans for them and then I remembered!! I thought about how great they would be in that recipe I had seen if I added a little of this...


And this...


Yes, chocolate cake and Diet Cherry Coke! 

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and dump the fruit into the bottom of the pan in a single layer.

Pour the cake mix on top of the fruit in an even layer.

Next slowly pour the 12 oz can of soda over the top.

Do NOT mix it up. It will look like this...


I know it seems strange but you are going to have to trust me here. Now put it in the oven and bake for 
35-45 minutes. 

The recipe I found said that this is 4 PP for 1/16th of the cake. I apologize that there is no picture of the finished dessert but by the time it came out it was smelling so delicious that all I could do was cut and eat.
 I can't lie!

The recipe is very easy and this came out wonderful. Top it with a little Cool Whip Free and you are looking for a great dessert. I will say that I had this both warm and room temp and either way is good. My preference was to the warm gooey goodness.

This is my mix but try and change it up whatever way sounds good to you. Experiment with all the diet soda flavors that are available these days. My next will probably be the peaches with yellow cake and diet sprite. So many different ways that you can think to do this!! Enjoy it!!




No comments:

Post a Comment