Thursday, July 11, 2013

From Freezer to Plate: Trader Joe's Hake En Papillote

I am always on the lookout for good freezer meals. A lot of people will say that you shouldn't eat them because they aren't good for you, or that they are loaded with sodium, or that they are in the plastic that shouldn't go in the microwave (look, I used to work with a lot of older ladies who had a lot of paranoia). Although some of these concerns may be valid, I also know that there are some out there that are awesomely delicious. 

I am a busy mom that works a full time job and quite often I eat lunch at my desk. I also have a picky husband (I think I have stressed this before) and sometimes the meal he may want for dinner  may not be something I should or want to eat. Both of these places are where frozen meals fit into my life. Some people live off of Weight Watchers meals and there are some that are tasty, but there are a world of options out there for all of us far beyond a Red Box.

Here is the delicious frozen Hake En Papillote I found at Trader Joe's:


This was a delicious piece of white fish that was dressed in a nice pesto sauce with zucchini and cherry tomatoes. Oh my, was this tasty!! I will start by telling you a little food secret about me. I LOVE zucchini!! Any squash really. I can eat bowls and bowls. Yellow or green, spaghetti or summer, I love them all!! So having that in this dish with the pesto was fantastic. The fish was moist and melted in my mouth. 


This is what the package looks like when you open it. The outside of the box from TJ's tells me that "en papillote" directly translates to in paper. Trader Joe's took the process of cooking fish in parchment paper to a whole new level. They have made an origami box that has a top and bottom. You toss this in the microwave on a microwave safe plate and when it is done all you do is take the top off  and enjoy.


My final thoughts on this dish:

It was fantastic with only one complaint. I don't like cooked cherry tomatoes. The skin gets gross and the tomatoes taste weird so I picked them out. The rest was outstanding.

The whole serving is 6PP. It is a great alternative to all the other low point frozen dishes!!

The one serving was $3.99 and although that may not be the cheapest for an individual frozen meal, it is completely worth it. I will buy it again without even thinking twice.  The other day, after having the microwave make my house smell scrumptious with this meal, I told the hubby that the meal seemed pricey at $3.99. Then I caught myself and said to him "what am I talking about? I never thought twice about ordering a value meal at McDonalds for over $6 at lunch time!" Eating healthy is not cheap but its not that much worse than the horrible choices I was making before. What I may put out in money to make this change I will gain back in time I get to spend with my child because I am getting healthy. As far as I am concerned, that time is priceless and that is what this journey is truly about. So $3.99 for lunch is the best $4 I could have ever spent!


No comments:

Post a Comment