Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Breakfast on the Go: Special K Nourish

Everyday during the week I usually have the same breakfast (for the most part). I have Sugar Free Maple Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal between 8 and 8:30. I usually have two packages for 5 points because I purchase the Safeway store brand when it is on sale and for some reason that particular brand is lower points vs. Quaker or even Walmart's brand. Ok, so it may only be lower by 1 point for two packages but in my world...1 point could be the difference between a dessert of chocolate pudding or sugar free jell-o!! 

Anyway, the point of my rant is that I have tried many different low point instant oatmeal flavors and brands because I can get my hot water at work and eat at my desk. For many Mommies, breakfast needs to be on the road or at our desks. Either way, I have found to be successful, you need to start your day by fueling your body and I stay full longer with oatmeal.

Enter my trip to Walmart this weekend. I found a coupon online for Special K Nourish Oatmeal. It was a high value coupon of a $1 off of 1 and I thought I would try and see if Walmart carried it. In fact, they did and they came in about 3 different flavors and were regular price of $2.78 for 2 small individual cups of oatmeal. Paired with the coupon it made them $1.78 which I found to be a little high for two servings of oatmeal but I thought they would be worth a try. After all, I am a big fan of other Special K products that they have been putting out lately. I chose the Cranberry and Almond flavor and they rang in at 5 PP per serving.


I guess I should also say that Special K does not seem to be referring to these as "oatmeal". They are calling it a "hot cereal" that is a "multi-grain blend with Quinoa". After trying it, it does not seem to taste much different than oatmeal and has a the same texture. Each packet does come with its own little nut and dried fruit blend that you are supposed to mix in after you steep the cereal in the cup.


Upon opening the top to add the water, I noticed that there did not seem to be very much cereal in the cup which seemed very disappointing for 5 PP. But I put my water in and let it steep. After the 2 to 3 minutes that the cup recommended, I went to stir in my fruit and nuts. This is what I had...


Now it may be hard to tell from the picture but that cup is less than half full and I have not had a single bite yet. Just like everything, the product has its strengths and weaknesses. The downside is that I feel that for the price of what I paid for two days worth of breakfast, I can get four days and much larger servings if I stick with my instant oatmeal. I am not gaining or losing any points that way either so that is a wash. I was disappointed in that regards. 

The flavor was fine. Now, I am a woman so understand and read that word accordingly...it was FINE! Nothing spectacular, nothing bad either. Just FINE. I love cranberries so it was nice that they were there but I can add 7 Craisins to my oatmeal anytime. 

The plus side is that it does add a nice little crunch by having the almonds there. I also think that the packaging an easy of portability in the container is great. In my opinion, if you were looking to try something different, you probably aren't going to be blown away here. My advice would be that if you could find a great deal somewhere soon and pair it with the coupon then they are ok, but at almost a dollar a serving (more if you pay full price) I would tell you to look elsewhere first. Sorry Special K, I'll keep buying those delicious Pastry Crisps though ;)

2 comments:

  1. I love your new blog. I did WW last year and lost 29 pounds! However, I got pregnant (YAY) so I jumped off the wagon. But I still try to eat healthy and LOVE that I have someone I know and trust to sample new things and lets me know about them. Thank you for taking the time to blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb!! Its so fun to be able to share with people what I find out there. So many people asked me what I was doing that worked. There are so many great ways to stay on track now. And I am SO EXCITED for you!! Mommyhood is the best!!

      Delete